Saturday, September 23, 2006

Insurance Sucks!

Unfortunately, we live in Oklahoma, where infertility coverage is not mandated. Further, I work for the state, who has crappy insurance! Trying to get information out of them is nearly impossible. I sent a letter asking them to verify coverage for procedures, etc., related to IVF. It took five weeks for a negative response. They refuse to pay for anything, including meds. (Of course, at that point, they'd already paid for our meds, thankfully. I just hope that they can't come back and try to make us pay later.) They will not pay for any office visits, ultrasounds, blood draws -- zippo. I think that is ridiculous. I still plan to appeal, because technically IVF is a very small part of the overall process. It's the actual transfer, fertilization, and transfer. They should pay for blood draws, etc., at the least! We are using the one-cycle plus through ARC (Advanced Reproductive Care), so I will have to file claims myself, but I still intend to. Someone from the insurance company will be getting an earful on Monday morning as well.

ARC allows you to do a package deal -- you get all the office visits, ultrasounds, blood draws, etc. for a fresh cycle of IVF. It also pays for one frozen embryo transfer cycle if the fresh cycle does not work. That alone saves you like 4000.00. But, not every fresh cycles results in embryos that can be frozen. Still the one-cycle plus was cheaper than just paying for a fresh cycle directly from Dr. K and Bennett Fertility Institute.

No comments: