Thursday, October 11, 2007

Disappointed

Okay, I'll explain why I'm disappointed, but first, the good parts of the day. I had a very nice lunch and dinner with dh and had a good afternoon with baby. He is really drooly tonight and still awake at 9 p.m. Wait, he just fell asleep.

Now to the rest of the day which has been pretty sucky!

I expected to hear something from that job in my office this week but I had not, so I was going to call this afternoon. And then the big boss came and asked me about it too. So I call. No one answers, but they called me back while we were at lunch. The answer: my application was rejected due to a lack of professional experience. The minimum requirement is three years and a MA. Well, I have the M.A. I was a T.A. for 3 semesters. I taught junior high/high school for a year and a half. I volunteered in the state archives for about 4-6 months. I interned with the largest private preservation group in the country, doing field work. I've been at my present job since January. I thought the big boss would speak up for me and help me out. I was mistaken. She called and made it clear that she didn't think I had the necessary experience. She said the ms/hs experience definitely didn't count (although it's in the right field! I guess teachers aren't professionals). She told me to focus on being a new mommy and to take consolation in the fact that I will be eligible for a 5% raise in January. Whoopee!

I'm disappointed and hurt. I've already begun the training to fill this position on an interim basis. But I don't plan to do it because I am not "qualified." That is if I go back. I may not. I may just focus on my child.

No comments: